|The Lady Scott|
Sydney Mail (NSW : 1912 - 1938), Wednesday 9 July 1913
1913 - The Lady Scott being built on the slips at Currambene Creek Jervis Bay.
The tall sailing vessels and ocean crossing steamers had long since left the bay. The promised prosperity which was to come from building the wool road, by which weiry, hard working bullocky’s, driving large teams of bullocks, carrying huge loads of wool from the highlands to the bay to be loaded onto waiting sailing ships and ocean going steamers had long since passed by.
At a time when Huskisson, had a population under 200, two beautifully hand crafted timber Ferries were built by Joseph Dent, during the construction he employed around 10 men.
Joe Dent and his shipbilding crew.
|Joseph Dent at the timber mill.|
The centre piece of the JB Maritime Museum, the Lady Denman built in 1911 - 1979, and her sister ferry, the Lady Scott built in 1913 - 1969, were destined for Sydney Harbour.
Both vessels survive, but the Lady Denman is the only one to have stayed in her original condition, and operate as a double ender until her withdrawal from service.
The Sydney Morning Herald - Thursday 6 November 1913
Like all ferries operating on Sydney Harbour she had her fair share of incidents.
DODGED COLLISION, 1915
FERRY STEAMER ' DISABLED' 1925 - As a result of the sudden breakage of her propellar shaft the ferry steamer Lady Scott was disabled off Balls Head last night, and drifted half an hour before assistance was forth-coming. There was a good deal of excitement among the women passengers.
MISHAP TO FERRY STEAMER. 1931 - While the ferry Lady Scott, with a number of workmen on board, was berthing at Longnose Point early this morning, she crashed into the timbers and developed a leak. The inrush of water was not discovered until the ferry was on her way to the next wharf, which, however, she reached in safety. She was then tahon to Balmain dock, for repair.
FERRY STEAMERS COLLIDE. 1943 - The ferry steamers. Lady Scott and Lady Fergurson, collided at Circular Quay today and considerable damage was done to the latter. The passengers, however, realised that a collision was imminent and rushed from that side of the vessel, none being injured.
FERRY AGROUND. 1952, — The Sydney ferry, Lady Scott, overshot Cremorne wharf and ran aground this afternoon. There were about 40 people on board, mostly children, at the time of the accident, but no one was hurt. The ferry broke a propeller shaft when she hit the rocks.
The Lady Scott has undergone many changes. She was one of the surviving ferries that saw the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the 1930's, she was converted to diesel in 1937 and remained in service until 1969.
John Cadman cruises bought her hull and rebuilt her as the John Cadman I.
1992 she was renamed the “Harbour Queen”, and still operates on Sydney Harbour under that name today, but only as a single ended vessel.